Stockton lies about 1.5 miles east of Southam and has a population of about 1500.
The name of Stockton was first recorded in 1272 and could have two origins. It could mean a fenced enclosure or it could derive from “Stoke”, a dwelling place.
Its history over the last 200 years lies in the manufacture of cement and there are several disused quarries in the parish. Many of the houses in the village have a distinctive style and were originally built by the cement companies for their workers. They also provided a working men’s club and a company shop, now a chairmakers.
The parish is now a centre for the canal holiday business with several marinas nearby and a new canal boat training centre.
The train line from Leamington to Daventry is long gone but part of the line, the Stockton Cutting, is now a Site of Special Scientific Interest due to the plants that grow in the calcerous soil, and Tasker’s Meadow next to the cutting is a haven for wild flowers.
Although the site of the parish church, St Michael, is much older, the current buildings date from about 1530 with later Victorian alterations.